Wednesday, October 29, 2014

We have a Game SEVEN

I do not take sportscaster's predictions very seriously.
Once San Francisco and Kansas City were cemented as the two World Series teams, they all chimed in that this would be played out in seven games.
The stats were all the same.
It is actually pretty weird how exact the stats were.
It happened.
Tonight they play at the K to see who wins it all.
I hope we win.
I really hope we win.
But regardless, I have baseball back again.
When I was a little girl I loved the Cubs with all my ten year old heart.
I would hide under my blankets with my AM/FM Walkman and listen to the games.
I would pore over the statistics with Brian.
We had our favorites for sure.
And I knew everything about them.
Leon Durham on first, Ryne Sandberg on second, Ron Cey at third, Larry Bowa or maybe Shawn Dunstan at Shortstop.
Of course, Rick Sutcliffe pitching and Jody Davis as catcher.
I still love the Cubs.
They just haven't given me much to cheer about in a while.
I lived in Kansas for 6 years. 
Only 1 year was actually in Kansas City.
I went to a bunch of games simply because they were a cheap way to go to a baseball game.
My dad went with me to the K.
He had also lived in Kansas City when he first graduated college and never outgrew his affection for the perpetually down and out Royals.
The K was one of his favorite stadiums.
We would get tickets for five dollars because, to be honest, no one wanted them.
I looked on Stubhub last night to see what it would cost to go to game seven.
Most tickets were over $1,500.
Not too surprising.
All of a sudden, I am searching the web for information about baseball again.
Now it is the Royals.
I have my favorites again and I love them just as much.
Just in a thirty-nine year old version of my ten year old self.
I love Lorenzo Cain and his amazing catches.
I can not believe how Holland and Herrerra can completely shut down an offense.
Hosmer's play at first base as well as his offense?
Love it.
No matter what happens tonight, I have that.
I will follow my team in off-season.
I will plan a trip to get to Kauffman stadium when I do not have to pay $1,500 to do so.
Now I will bring my husband who is falling in love with my team as well.
Matthew, Meagan and Natalie will continue to cheer on the Royals as well.
This will be a season I share with my grandkids one day.
Just as I know my dad would have loved to share with his grandkids this year.
So, today my heart is in Kansas City.


Hoping these guys "#takethecrown" as I have been writing all over Facebook.
I am grateful for this ride no matter what happens.

Go Blue!

No comments: