Wednesday, May 7, 2008

sad night

We had a rough night last night. First of all, I was less than pleased at my NJHS Induction. I put so much work into it, but really, it was not so good.
When I got home Andy had to leave for his softball game. I had hoped that it would be cancelled because we got a pretty healthy rain the other day and Williamson county is very overprotective of their fields normally. The dogs started maniacly barking, so I went and checked it out. They were standing next to "scrappy" and barking like crazy. Scrappy, in case you don't know, is a stray cat who has been hanging out in our backyard. For whatever reason, Natalie and Meagan adore Scrappy. I knew something was wrong when the dogs were behaving that way. Barni was actually trying to get Scrappy to stand up by pushing her head up, and Pokie was running around back and forth. Scrappy, meanwhile, was twitching. It was very hard to see. I called Paula next door and she ran over. Paula doesn't like the cat, but even she was upset by it's condition. I called 3-1-1 and they told me a officer would be on their way. The girls and I went inside to try to eat dinner and Meagan said God would protect Scrappy. I said that she could say a prayer because we have been talking lately about prayers. Andy and I are not very religious, but we are trying to teach the girls some basics, both things that we have learned as children and ideas that appeal to us. Meagan said, "please god, take care of scrappy." I started to cry because it was so sweet.
The officer arrived about an hour later. Scrappy was still just barely alive, but he said they will put him out of his misery.
Hard night.

No comments: