Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Venting a bit of frustration

A couple of times a week, Meagan comes home and tells me some very mean spirited things that a boy in her class says about gay people.  Often it involves Obama as well.  Today it was about how Obama is an idiot because he believes in the rainbow flag.  My children are well aquainted with the rainbow flag and it hurts her feelings.  My first instinct was to be angry and to tell her to talk to her teacher.  But now that I have thought about it a bit (and trust me, I have been thinking about this for over a year now since he was in her class last year), I have decided that I am just sad for the boy.  He is being taught at a young age to blindly hate without any knowledge of who the people affected by his hatred are.  All my daughter hears are insults to her uncles whom she loves very much and some strong role models in her life.  During our ride home, I told her to just feel bad for him.  He is the one who is being limited by values taught at home, not her.

No comments: